Friday, December 28, 2007

Last Dress of December!


Hi! If anyone ever looks on here, you'll notice that I'm not very faithful about posting here as often as I'd like to be. I have so much to do, just like you. "But I'm always trying to improve (my stack of self-help books keeps getting taller, but I do read them), so I give challenges to myself. Yesterday I decided to make a dress from a pattern I listed for sale on ebay in a 7 day auction. Well, I actually made it into my sewing room, cleared the table again, and got started. I can't tell you how good it felt to me to prep and cut out a pattern. I've always sewn, both for fun and professionally. It's just something that's in my blood, making stuff. I come from a long line of women that have sewn, knit, crocheted, beaded and just generally made stuff. So it felt like coming home to spend time in my favorite room! The dress is a Simplicity "simple-to-sew" pattern from either the late 50s or the early 60s. It reminds me of a dress that the daughter on the Munster's would have worn, so that probably dates it to the early 60s. No matter. I chose a green floral print that was popular in Ship and Shore blouses that I had on hand, and had enough since I needed to shorten the skirt. I'm only 5'4" so most things are too long unless I alter them. I've got to warn you that I'm not a notch cutter, but I cut them off and snip into the seam for the markings. I got the bodice put together last night. Now it confirms what I was thinking... I'm going to go back to Weight Watchers after the first of the year. It's been a very stressful year and I ate my way through it. I'd made my goal weight and loved being skinny for the first time in my life, but have gained back probably 25 pounds. It's gotta go! I highly recommend the Weight Watchers program to anyone. I lost my weight and didn't exercise hardly at all. This time I'll add some exercise and speed it up. Anyway, later today I'll probably finish the dress...there's just a zipper and some straight seams ahead. I'll post the finished picture here. Such fun!

No comments: