Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Taa-Daa! Finished Dress!


Yippee, I finished the dress, Sunday actually. I'm just pokey about posting sometimes. I'm really happy about how it looks and will be thrilled when I can wear it. Yeah, that means that it doesn't fit me know; it's just a teensy bit too snug in the waist. I like the fitted style though and will make another similar. Maybe the same one but without sleeves this time. The pattern was pretty simple, if you bother to follow instructions. I skipped a part and had to rip out the side seam to put the zipper in. The front closes with buttons and I actually found something perfect in my button box. Instead of blending in, I used cheerful turquoise blue buttons. In Oregon in the gray wintertime, bright is good. Anyway, the best part of this project was making time to sew again. I have such a great collection of vintage fabrics and am giving myself permission to use it! But the next thing I make will be a 40s suit blouse. I've wanted to try making it out of a lightweight knit fabric to avoid needing to iron the blouse, so it's off to Fabric Depot for some of their hemp jersey the next time I have time and money to spare. What am I saying...I don't need new fabric. I am trying to use what I have on hand as much as possible. My goal is to sew more but don't need to spend a ton of money doing it. I think I get to teach a couple of people how to sew this year. That should be fun...I've never done it before.

No comments: