Thursday, February 7, 2008

Once a crafter always a crafter!

I'm kind of excited to try another venue outside of ebay. Or hopefully in addition to ebay. I'm still trying to decide if I'll strike in a couple of weeks. I had the dates wrong and didn't realize that it was for a full week. That's a lot of sales I'll be missing and I need the money for bills and stuff. You know, the usual. And I get to go to San Francisco for a week in March but need air fare and food, a tourist money. So the timing pretty much sucks. That's why I'm still on the fence.
Anyway, I've been exploring etsy. I like what I see, and I think I like the vibe although it's awfully hip. Maybe everyone is just so excited about making things. I've been sewing or crafting professionally off and on for (gasp!) over 30 years. I LOVE to make things. A teacher once summed it up when she described herself as a 'maker'. That pretty much sums it up. And there's nothing quite like having someone like something that you personally created, enough to spend their cash on it. It means that you get to make some more, and get paid for it! I love selling vintage patterns and fabric, or anything to do with vintage textiles on ebay. But I've been missing the creative outlet since I closed the retail store where I was selling some of my stuff, in addition to skateboards and things. I got into making hats from some of my old patterns and would like to explore them some more. I've been making pet accessories and would like to spend more time on those. And I love beading, especially using delica beads in the peyote stitch. Sounds like I'm talking myself into giving it a try. There are other sites I could try but it would be just doing the same old thing, and if I'm going to use this as an opportunity to branch out into another direction, why not try something that I'm excited about. I'll think about it.

No comments: