Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Random musings!

I've been busy the last several days, not doing anything notable but rather just random stuff. Hence the title "Random Musings". First of all, last week was Victors 12th birthday, which passed uneventfully on Monday. It's hard to get excited about a Monday birthday, so he got to declare what was for dinner and dessert, which was calzone and pumpkin pie. Man, was my crust tough! Don't know why but it took an effort to cut the darn thing with the knife. Weird! I think that I didn't add enough water, or over handled it. But he liked it and that's what counted. Anyway, I promised him a birthday party, so Friday I went to crappy estate sales during the day, ran errands and went to hell, I mean Costco on a Friday. I love Costco for groceries, but the weekends are awful. When I got over that ordeal, I fed 5 boys an exotic dinner of grilled cheese sandwiches, chips and tomato soup, and then we all went to the nickel arcade. Holy cow, what a place! Epic money waster, I thought. Of course they were all blissed out. I dropped 30 dollars there. Don't you love the prizes? What crap! Cheesy, shoddy junk that hopefully is broken and can be thrown away soon to put it out of its misery. Several of the boys brought home little lasers that had safety warnings on the packages about not shining the light in eyes. Are they 12 years old? Did they care about the warnings? The lasers came with changeable picture screens to shine on the wall. How about packaging a swastika in with the happy faces? Doesn't that seem like a great idea...I know, lets take it to school. That should get me a meeting with the principal...."Oh yes, I saw it...didn't you notice that it's a backward swastika? What, you didn't know that backwards makes it a good luck symbol?" Great! Anyway, we told them to get to bed that night about 2 am. I'm sure that the angels didn't get online and mess around after we were asleep. They were up when I got up in the morning, still playing a Sims game. They all stayed until about 5pm, when I got to transition into the next party for my husbands birthday. At least it was easy. He just wanted steak and baked potatos, and apple pie. Again with the pie! The crust was excellent this time. And he chose the steaks so they were great. But expensive! On sale they were over 20 dollars. But for a special occasion it's ok.
Sunday the weather here was dry and mild, so we worked outside. Here in Oregon it's time to prune the fruit trees so Brian worked on our dwarf cherry tree and the old pear tree. Our dwarf tree was probably over 20 feet tall...I think it was mis-labeled. The crazy tree has three different kinds of cherries on it. Bing, Royal Anne, and some kind of pie cherries. It's a beautiful sight in the summer when you stand beneath it and look up at the blue sky, and see the bright red fruit hanging there. Picture worthy actually. So he worked on the trees and I tried to clear awful grass that is overtaking the yard near the house. I decided to put the chickens to work. They love to scratch the dirt looking for grubs and goodies, so I cut the grass short, and am waiting for them to wipe out the grass for me. Then all I have to do is figure out how to keep them out of the flower bed that they are creating for me. Well, I guess I'm rambling now. There's not a bit of vintage patterns in this post tonight. No redeeming value for it. But that's just the way it goes sometimes. No vintage at all.

No comments: