Saturday, May 3, 2008

Like She Said!

I just finished reading the newest post on Erin's wonderful 'Dress-A-Day' blog. She was writing about how folks are so reticent to cut and use expensive fabric, thus avoiding the risk of ruining their beautiful fabric and investment. I agree with her about the fear of risk and the potential failure and humiliation. My mother always said "nothing ventured, nothing gained". Was that a Ben Franklin-ism? But she also said " one must suffer to be beautiful" too. She was right on both counts. But I digress. When I started my now-failed skateboard shop, I was encouraged by 2 things I read. One was "God can't drive a parked car". The other was more profound but I've forgotten most of it. Something like the fear of failing was worse that the actual risk and failure. That you must work through the fear and gain from the experience, both good and bad. Well, failure sucked BAD! It was expensive, bad for family relations at the time, and humiliating to boot! But after a year in Hell, I've emerged a different person that I was at the beginning of the entire 9 year experience. I've awakened an actual entrepreneurial spirit that was really missing at the beginning. I've read a ton of books in the last year while avoiding and eventually facing my creditors, and have gained knowledge of myself and the business world that I never knew. So cutting a piece of $45.00 fabric seems like child's play to me now. My one-of-a-kind, no more available vintage fabric, that's another story...but when I have the right pattern and know it fits, I'm going to cut it too! And wear it while working on one of my businesses!

No comments: