Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Too-Dotty Apron?

Lately I've been wanting a new apron with good pockets to carry stuff in. What I want is someplace to keep my cell phone in when I'm at home. We got rid of our land-line last month and I'm not used to hauling my phone from room to room all day long... I set it down and forget to take it with me when I go somewhere else. I have an iphone and it's just a little too big to fit in my jeans pockets comfortably. (And it looks like I'm carrying a small book around in my pocket.) Since I sew, I'm on a personal quest to find the perfect apron pattern. Last summer I bought two old 60s or 70s Merimeko apron patterns, and have been wanting to give one a try. When I found a few yards of navy and white polka dot sailcloth at an estate sale a month ago, I knew I had to use it for an apron. I think polka dots are so cheerful, and lately I can use all the cheer I can get! Now in hind-sight, I think I over-did the polka dots! The apron almost makes my eyes water when I see myself in a mirror...oops! But the pocket works just great for my phone, like I wanted. I wore when working in the yard today, before I took this picture with my camera using the timer.





The pattern was printed on an absolutely jumbo piece of heavy paper, and was meant to be traced onto some other paper before using. That's the sort of tedious stuff I don't like to do. I taped a bunch of tissue paper sheets together and copied the pattern onto them. The pattern is a size s-m, but there's no measurements given. Just to be safe, I added an inch at the center front fold when I cut the fabric out. Really, the tracing was the hardest part of making this pattern. The instructions were very vague, but it was really easy to sew. I'm lazy (or smart?) and cheated a little bit. Instead of using bias tape to finish the edges, I used my serger to finish the edges, and then turned them under and top stitched them. That worked great. There's a single big pocket in front. I'll find out tomorrow if it's a good pocket for my phone or if I need to add another pocket somewhere else. I think this pattern is a keeper, but next time I'll make it shorter. The biggest problem with this pattern is that it's all cut in one piece, so my 36" wide vintage fabric will need to be pieced together if I want to use it. I'll probably stick with modern fabric that's at least 45" wide for this one.

This past weekend I went shopping at an antique mall in Lincoln City, and found a cute vintage Advance apron pattern in a large size. It's from the 1940s, and has several styles, including one with a heart-shaped bodice... it's too cute! But the pattern is unprinted and I'm intimidated by patterns without writing or markings on the tissues. I'll give it a try anyway, but that's a sewing story for a different day.

No comments: